18 February 2011

Mornings with Mochi

This morning, as I shuffled for my glasses, my dog Mochi greeted me. Already a routine for him, he makes it a point to say good morning by laying his head on the side of my bed the moment I wake up. We bought Mochi through a breeder last March 2010. He's a cream chow chow, with purple tongue and everything! I never understood "dog people" before. We've always had cats and I've had apprehensions about getting a dog because they're so high maintenance and they smell. :p But after a few months of taking care of Mochi, I can't imagine not ever wanting a dog. There were of course a lot of ugly moments. From the shoe-chewing fiasco phase to wanting-to-kill-the-cats phase (the cats launched an attack and showed him who's boss!). But generally, Mochi has been a good dog and a wonderful addition to our family. We could spend hours just watching him and talking about him and shopping for him. Popsy has found a new "bunsoy" and Mama now has a protector. Me? He's my baby. :-) I think the reason why he fits in so perfectly is because like us, he is genuinely happy and excited about the everyday, and especially about spending time with each other. Perhaps the reason why dogs are the perfect companions is because we should be like them - contented with the little things and values family above everything else. Although it's hard work (3-hour baths, meticulous food preparation, early morning "pee-pee" breaks), there's really nothing like the feeling of seeing your dog so happy just with the sight of you. Now, I'm one of those "dog people" and watching Hachiko makes me cry even more. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment